When you go on vacation do you bring more clothes than you wind up wearing? More shoes than you need? Too many bathing suits?
Traveling light can make your next trip an easier one. Who wouldn’t want to have the lightest-weight suitcase possible when traveling? However, this is easier said than done. Sometimes it is difficult to know exactly what you need for your upcoming trip.
Here are some tips to help you travel lighter on your next vacation:
- Pack your smaller suitcase whenever possible. Don’t just reach for your large suitcase. Many times you will realize that you can get by just fine in the smaller one!
- Don’t plan more than a week’s worth of clothes and shoes. If your trip will be longer than one week, plan to do a little laundry while you are away.
- Make a list. Before you begin packing, make a list of the clothing you will need on your trip each day, based on the activities you have planned. When you start packing, stick to your list!
- Color-coordinate your outfits. By bringing bottoms that match multiple tops, you will be able to repeat some outfits while looking as though you are wearing something entirely different!
- Instead of folding your clothes into your suitcase, try rolling them! (They will take up less room that way.)
- Pack only two or three pairs of shoes. For most trips, all you need is a pair of good sneakers, a pair of dress shoes, and a pair of casual flats, loafers or sandals.
- When possible, purchase your toiletries when you get to your destination, or share toiletries with your traveling companion. For the toiletries you must bring, travel with travel-size ones instead of toting along those full-size shampoo bottles!
- Call ahead to the hotel to see what items they supply, such as blow dryer, before you pack yours.
With just a little planning, it can be simply to make your next trip a lighter one!